Featured Posts

Gen-Y Style Communication Profile

What you see is what you get.

Sometimes this directness can be your downfall because people don’t always understand it. I personally value it. I’m married to someone who is incredibly direct, so it doesn’t phase me at all. But I wasn’t brought up with that directness.

I’ve learned to admire it because it brings to the table one really important thing that managers value: I can ask you for your opinion and know you’ll give it to me. I may not like the opinion, but I will usually hear the truth.

You can deal with that. At least the truth is out in the open.

Some people tell you what they think you want to hear. If you’re the CEO, that’s the worst thing to want.

I remember the first person who mentored me in life. One day he gave me a piece of advice that really upset me. Doesn’t really matter what it was , but it went “pow” in me. He said to me later, “You will find many people around who will pat you on the back and say what a great guy you are, but you will find very few people who will actually tell you the truth.”

What your generation brings to the table is a directness in communication, which all organizations need to understand and value.

If you find people are misinterpreting your directness, explain yourself.

Say to your boss, “Please understand that I’m direct and upfront in my communication. I’m not being rude, I’m just telling you what’s on my mind.”


© Canstockphoto/ Feverpitched

No comments: